Zelda Universe RPG

This week's schedule - Printable Version

+- Zelda Universe RPG (https://zurpg.sephiroth.ws)
+-- Forum: News & Information (https://zurpg.sephiroth.ws/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://zurpg.sephiroth.ws/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: This week's schedule (/thread-476.html)

This week's schedule - WindStrike - 02-06-2014

Welcome to the first February Announcement Thread! Unfortunately, I'm rather short on time, so any "changes" or "additions" I would be announcing this week are instead gonna be on next week's update list. I'll list the general major ones here though.

Subrosia Mart
Respecs
Archived Characters

Schedules
We have 5 sessions this time around! Potentially 4, as one of them may be cancelled. Nonetheless, here they are!

I'm letting you all know now - I'm ignoring everything ZURPG-related on Tuesday, cause that's both my break from work day and break from ZURPG day. Aka, I'm playin' games, watchin' movies and resting, so don't expect to get a response from me regarding anything that day.

RE: This week's schedule - WindStrike - 02-07-2014

I am scrapping the WIP Crafting System.

So back in this thread, I talked about creating a crafting system, with the point of it being able to enhance existing items with various bonuses and, later, creating items. However, after attempting to work on it for a little while, it's proved counterproductive. There's a huge flaw with the whole system overall...
  • ZURPG is currently a game where a DM sets up a quest for players. While there's exploration within each quest, if a player needs a specific material, they may only get that material by going to certain places, and unless a DM sets up a quest for that, the player may never get the material.
  • In other words, this sort of system would work for a game that encourages free-roam exploration of the whole game along with farming and grinding. While I'd love for ZURPG to eventually become fully open world, I'm not fond of farming or grinding, because it's unnecessary filling. A crafting system involving a search for materials is essentially a farm/grind fest.
  • However, in the next major version of ZURPG (probably 2-3 years from now), you can expect some sort of custom item creation system. I've got a general idea of how it'll work, but it'll require a lot of balance testing, input, large compendium of various things, etc.
    • There is a possibility I can implement it into the current game, but not anytime soon.

So what am I doing with it instead? Well, I'm gonna scrap all the WIP materials, recipes, etc. and instead just turn 'em into items, passive skills, and more stuff for scrolls. Various enemies may have specific item drops (Goriyas drop bait when die now), and "Replaced Item Drop" is gonna change to "Dropped Items". With regards to that "random item drop", since it no longer drops Heart Containers and Magic Containers, I'm going to eliminate the nothings, and then it'll just drop Restoration Hearts and Magic Jars. Rings will be shifted to various enemies.

The Materials section in people's profiles will be scrapped, and anyone that has materials currently can prod me for a replacement. Nutshell, here's the options:
  • Scrolls
  • Heart Containers
  • Magic Containers
  • Rupees or some other currency.
If there's a material that you think can be turned into an item that has an effect instead, poke with the idea and we'll see what we can do with it.

This'll be a more formal section of next week's announcement thread.