Zelda Universe RPG

Basic Skills Section - Printable Version

+- Zelda Universe RPG (https://zurpg.sephiroth.ws)
+-- Forum: ZURPG General (https://zurpg.sephiroth.ws/forum-18.html)
+--- Forum: Feedback & Suggestions (https://zurpg.sephiroth.ws/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Basic Skills Section (/thread-359.html)

Pages: 1 2

Basic Skills Section - WindStrike - 11-30-2013

This would be a new skills section called Basic Skills. A basic skill is a skill that is understood that everyone has, including NPCs and enemies. It'd be listed in your profile to remind you what it is. Currently, this already applies to Cover, Escape, and Bash. In addition to these, Throw, Taunt, Punch and Kick will be added, since I keep seeing a good number of players use these skills without actually having them (Punch and Kick, I'm essentially splitting off from Too Manly). Anyone that has the existing skills will be fully refunded.

Are there any other skills that should be considered basic? I'm considering Poke, but just a warning on that, enemies will be able to use Poke as well. Not all, just because... if they don't have arms, then obviously they wouldn't be able to use it for logical reasons.

Regarding the color that it'd be, I'll look it into and update this post with a hex code.

RE: Basic Skills Section - Darte Fellshard - 12-01-2013

Yes. #FF00FF

RE: Basic Skills Section - Sephiroth - 12-01-2013

(12-01-2013, 02:20 AM)Darte Fellshard Wrote: Yes. #FF00FF

Indeed, #FF00FF could be a good one, just note that with the CSS I use on this site, ... I'd need to break it down and set up multiple different hex color codes for it, so when I do add it, it'll be close, but not exact. Luckily, it's not all that much of a hassle to do with all of my web development tools I have handy. Smile

However, it would need to be WindStrike to make the decision on the hex color code, because when I did the design for this site, him and I sat down and spent a good hour or two determining the actual hues to use to make it look nice. Many revisions had to be made, so everything blended well and just fit right in. ... So it depends really on where this section is going to be dropped in to.

RE: Basic Skills Section - WindStrike - 12-01-2013

Sure, let's give #FF00FF a shot and see what that looks like. I assume that, with that color, that's meant to be the first section in the Skills section, ie above Signature Moves?

I have a thought, and I'm wondering if it's possible to do this. Because everything in the basic skills section would be the same for everyone, is it possible to have a single line, say
Basic
, translate to the entire thing? It would also help out with clutter issues in the profile itself, since that's a good number of skills.

Below is the list of the skills. Do note that I've also altered a few, most namely Bash. Lemme know what you think of the changes.

Cover
  • This is the basic Cover skill. You can only have one Cover skill modifier active at a time. All others must be set to (Disabled).
  • Select a target to use Cover on.
    • Anyone targeting the selected target will instead hit you.
    • If you are unsuccessful in defending any attack, Cover wears off.
  • Cover lasts until you're hit or until you use Cover on someone else.
Escape
  • Allows you (specifically) to escape from the current battle, using either of the following rolls. 'Hits' all enemies.
    • Roll your Courage dice vs. targets' Wisdom dice... OR
    • Roll your Courage dice vs. targets' Courage dice
    • If successful, you (specifically) escape from the battle.
Punch
  • Requires a free hand
  • Punch a target with your fist.
    • Roll your Power dice vs. targets' Power dice / Damage is halved
Kick
  • Kick a target with your leg.
    • Roll your Courage dice vs. targets' Courage dice / Damage is halved
Bash
  • Requires a shield
  • When you have your shield out, you can bash a target, effectively dealing some damage.
    • Roll your Power +2 dice vs. targets' Power dice / Damage decreased by 1
    • If the attack is successful, target's next charge-up move will require an additional turn to charge.
      • This does not stack.
Taunt
  • Call out to an enemy and insult him to taunt him.
    • Roll your Wisdom dice vs. targets' Wisdom dice / Deals no damage
    • If the taunt is successful, target is Taunted:
      • While Taunted, the target can only declare you as a target.
    • Taunt lasts until the end of your turn two rounds later.
Throw
  • You can throw people or large objects at other people! First, pick up a target.
    • Roll your Power dice vs. targets' Power dice / Does no damage
    • If the attack is successful, pick up the target and throw him at another target.
      • Roll your Power dice vs. targets' Courage dice
      • If the attack is successful, both targets take the damage.
      • If the attack is not successful, the projectile takes half of the difference in successes as damage.

RE: Basic Skills Section - Sephiroth - 12-02-2013

(12-01-2013, 11:00 PM)WindStrike Wrote: Sure, let's give #FF00FF a shot and see what that looks like. I assume that, with that color, that's meant to be the first section in the Skills section, ie above Signature Moves?

I have a thought, and I'm wondering if it's possible to do this. Because everything in the basic skills section would be the same for everyone, is it possible to have a single line, say
Basic
, translate to the entire thing? It would also help out with clutter issues in the profile itself, since that's a good number of skills.

Below is the list of the skills. Do note that I've also altered a few, most namely Bash. Lemme know what you think of the changes.

Scissors

We could do it that way, just be aware that the abilities will need to be absolutely finalized, to the point where there's going to be -no- more changes to them, ... for it'll be a pain in the arse to modify once HTML'd up and stuck into the bbcode system.

RE: Basic Skills Section - WindStrike - 12-03-2013

I altered the first line of Cover so that it notes that it is the base skill. If we go with this, what I'll do is alter all Cover moves so that their first lines will say that they're Cover skill modifiers, and you can only have one active at a time. I also removed those weird things on Punch and Kick (I'll explain my reasoning later in an update announcement on why I even had it that way in the first place).

I've altered the topic so that it is a poll, because I want to know what everyone's opinions are on Poke - basic skill or no? Just keep in mind that if it is considered a basic skill, all NPCs and Enemies will be able to use it as well, unless they logically cannot (ie, a Wisp has no hands, and is therefore unable to poke, punch, or (no legs) kick). Also, let me know if any of the skills listed needs tweaking, or if there needs to be more skills added/removed from the basic skills list.

Poke
  • Poke a target, automatically inflicting 1 neutral damage to a target.

RE: Basic Skills Section - Orithan - 12-04-2013

I would say no. That would ruin its novelty, just like how Super Poke does. I think of Poke just being a novelty skill so you can automatically screw anything at 1 Heart over after you had access to Shady's Shop.

RE: Basic Skills Section - WindStrike - 12-09-2013

Alright, so no to Poke as a basic skill, and I did a buff to Escape. I also threw "requires a free hand" at Punch. Expect having things capable of modifying your punching and kicking down the road, ala Gauntlets, Pegasus Boots, active skills like Quick Punches and Power Kick, and various stuff. Unlike Cover skill modifiers, these will be stackable to some extent - the items themselves will say "can only wear one set of gauntlets at a time" or something like that, so you'll be able to see what you can and can't stack.

Asides from that, I believe everything listed is finalized. Need to check the colors though. Anything else?

RE: Basic Skills Section - WindStrike - 07-19-2014

Cover
  • DESCRIPTION: Use your body as a shield! Select a target to use Cover on.
    • EFFECT: Anyone targeting the selected target will instead hit you.
      • If you are unsuccessful in defending any attack, Cover wears off.
      • DURATION: Cover lasts until you're hit or until you use Cover on someone else.
Escape
  • DESCRIPTION: Run away! Run as far as you can! 'Hits' all enemies by using either Outrun or Outwit.
    • Outrun:
        • Damage: None
        • EFFECT: You (specifically) escape from the current battle.
    • Outwit:
      • Roll your Courage dice vs. targets' Wisdom dice
        • EFFECT: You (specifically) escape from the current battle.
Punch
  • REQUIREMENTS: A free hand
  • DESCRIPTION: Swords not good enough? Punch a target with your fist!
    • Roll your Power dice vs. targets' Power dice
      • Physical Damage: Halved
Kick
  • DESCRIPTION: Why run when you can kick the crap out of your enemy? Kick a target with your leg!
Bash
  • REQUIREMENTS: A shield
  • DESCRIPTION: Who says shields are only good for defending? Bash a target with your shield, head-on!
    • Roll your Power +2 dice vs. targets' Power dice
      • EFFECT: Target gets one stack of the Charge Up More! Affliction:
        • All of target's charge-up moves require an extra turn to charge.
Taunt
  • DESCRIPTION: Call out to an enemy and insult him! Insult him, his family, his backstory, and his swimming skills!
    • Roll your Wisdom dice vs. targets' Wisdom dice
      • EFFECT: Target is Taunted:
        • While Taunted, the target can only declare you as a target.
        • DURATION: Taunt lasts until the end of your turn two rounds later.
Throw
  • DESCRIPTION: You can throw people or large objects at other people! First, pick up a target.
    • Roll your Power dice vs. targets' Power dice
      • EFFECT: Pick up the target and throw him at another target.
        • Roll your Power dice vs. targets' Courage dice
          • Physical Damage: +0
          • EFFECT: Both targets take the damage.
          • IF FAIL: The projectile takes half of the difference in successes as damage.
Sneak-Up
  • RESTRICTIONS: Target cannot know you are there. Otherwise, this will automatically result in IF FAIL.
  • DESCRIPTION: Try to sneak up on a target in an attempt to cause a pre-emptive strike!
    • Roll your Wisdom dice vs. targets' Wisdom dice
      • IF SUCCESS: You're able to attack the target with any attack.
        • The attack gains dice equal to the difference in successes from the Sneak-Up.
        • This will initiate official combat (everyone rolls initiatives).
      • IF FAIL: Target becomes aware of you and automatically gets the chance to use Escape or initiate official combat (everyone rolls initiatives).

Converted to new format. I need some checks on it before it's good to go for official conversion.

RE: Basic Skills Section - WindStrike - 10-14-2014

In addition to adding Counterattack to the Basic Skills section, here's a buff to it, since it already activates so rarely. Also, in terms of position, it should be placed at the very top:

Counterattack
  • RESTRICTIONS: You can only Counterattack once per turn
  • DESCRIPTION: Enables you to strike back at an enemy after getting attacked.
    • EFFECT A: If you successfully defend an attack, and your successes are at least twice that of the attacker's successes, you can Counterattack the attacker with any attack.
    • EFFECT B: If you get hit by an attack, and the attacker's successes are at least twice that of your successes, you can Counterattack the attacker with any attack.

Not confirmed, just wanna see what people's responses are. Either way, I'd like the standard Counterattack to be added. Whether the second condition gets built into it or not is the opinion I'd like to hear. Personally, I'm all for it, as it'd be a standard anti-glass cannon move that everyone gets access to, or just general cover on a weak stat. Keep in mind though that enemies would get access to it by default as well.